Unbelievable as it may seem, this week marks my 20th anniversary of working at Captain Blue Hen Comics.
Here’s a rundown of some of the numbers since August 29th, 1992:
- 1000+ New Comic Days (used to be Fridays)
- 12 Free Comic Book Days
- 6 ACME shows
- 7 Street Fairs
- 8 viewings of a Christmas Story
- 4 Flea Markets
- 4 San Diego Comic Cons attended, along with trips to Montreal, Burbank, Dallas, Atlanta, Chicago, Charlotte, New York and Las Vegas
- 3 Eisner Retailer Nominations
- 4 comics shops opened and 5 closed
- 6 Batman movies with 4 different Batmen
- 7 Harry Potter novels and 8 films
- 5 X-men, 4 Spider-man, 2 Iron Man movies
- 4.2 million Samuel L Jackson movies
- Superman died ( and came back again)
- Crossgen came and went and came back and went again
- Valiant came and went and came and went and came back again
- Rich, Big Joe, Debbie, Kris and Mark have moved on to other careers
- Paul, Dave, Kita, Z and Joe continue to keep the legend alive.
But the most disturbing realization- about the same time I started working at my favorite comic shop two decades ago, Kita was starting first grade.